Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) is one of the strongest research universities in Germany. At the same time, as recent evaluations show, it is one of the most successful research universities in Germany. FAU, for instance, takes 10th rank in the latest research ranking by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) and thus belongs to the league of Universities of Excellence.
FAU has likewise achieved excellent results with regard to single subjects. Accordingly, FAU Chemistry ranks second in DFG’s subject-specific funding ranking, whereas engineering takes second place with regard to third-party funding per professor – which means that it is listed higher than eight of the nine classical Technical Universities in Germany (TU 9). Moreover, seven engineering disciplines at FAU belong to the Top 10 of the respective rankings and thus clearly demonstrate the high level of technical expertise to be found at the university’s sites at Erlangen, Nuremberg and Fürth.
Outstanding positions in the DFG rankings have also been reached by the following subjects: Microbiology, Virology, Immunology (all Rank 1), Theology (Rank 7), Medicine (Rank 10), Philosophy (Rank 11), Neurosciences (Rank 12), Literary Studies (Rank 15). Particularly worthy of note are, in addition to that, Rank 3 for Chemistry and Rank 4 for Electrical Engineering and Information Technology in the subject-specific research rating of the German Council of Science and the Humanities (Wissenschaftsrat). Moreover, top positions were awarded to FAU Chemistry and Physics in the CHE-Excellence-Ranking 2010.
FAU has likewise achieved excellent results in international rankings. In the latest University Ranking by Academic Performance (URAP) it is listed as sixth best German university. The publication-based Leiden Crown Ranking proves that this placement is not an isolated case: here, FAU ranks 5th in Germany.
Without a doubt: FAU as a whole belongs to the top universities in Germany!
- Cluster of Excellence Engineering of Advanced Materials (EAM)
- Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (SAOT)
Emerging Fields Initiative
FMER, Max-Plank-Institute and Fraunhofer Institutes
- Partner of the FMER (Federal Ministry of Education and Research) Cluster "Medical Valley EMN"
- International FMER-Consortium for Research in the Humanities
- Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light
- Max Planck Research School
- Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits
- Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Systems and Device Technology
Other FAU Research Institutions
- Research Centres
- Interdisciplinary Centres
- Bavarian Research Cooperation Groups
- Societas Physicomedica Erlangensis; PMSE