Friedrich, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth, issues an edict whereby the university recently founded in Bayreuth is transferred to Erlangen. It has the four faculties of Protestant Theology, Jurisprudence, Medicine and Philosophy.
The 'Friedrichs-Universität' opens in Erlangen and occupies the rooms of the former 'Ritterakademie' (founded in 1701).
The University at Erlangen is given the new name of 'Friedrich-Alexander-Universität' in honour of Alexander, Margrave of Ansbach and Bayreuth.
The library of the University of Altdorf, dissolved in 1809, is moved to Erlangen.
The first hospital is built.
The University moves into the Schloss.
The 'Kollegienhaus', a central lecture building, is opened.
Student numbers at FAU now exceed 1000.
Opening of the new University Library.
The University Association ('Universitätsbund') is founded.
Science is taken out of the Faculty of Arts thus creating the new Faculty of Science.
The National-Socialist Association of German Students obtains an absolute majority in the official student elections at FAU - the first time this has happened at a German university.
Construction of the Student Building at Langemarckplatz
FAU acquires a further faculty through merger with the Nuremberg College of Economics and Social Sciences (founded in 1919). The University's name is now Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg.
The Faculty of Engineering Sciences is established.
FAU is thus the first of the traditional universities of the old Federal Republic to incorporate Engineering as an independent faculty.
Student numbers now exceed 10,000.
The Teacher Training College in Nuremberg is incorporated into the Faculty of Education.
Winter Semester 1991/92
FAU has 28,418 students - the highest number in its years of existence.
FAU celebrates its 250th anniversary.
The Free State of Bavaria purchases for the university 4.4 hectares of land in Erlangen previously owned by the US military. The area is now called "Röthelheim-Campus".
The WiSo Faculty (Business Administration, Economics & Social Sciences) celebrates its 75th anniversary.
The Bavaria-California Technology Centre opens its headquarters at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg.
Inauguration of the Research Centre in Clinical Molecular Biology in Erlangen.
Opening of the Röthelheim Campus on the site of the old artillery barracks.
Opening of the new Non-Surgical Centre at the Erlangen University Hospital.
Winter Semester 2003/2004
Student numbers reach 24 000.
Inauguration of the new building at the WiSo Faculty of Business Administration, Economics & Social Sciences in Nuremberg.